Celebritydom

The other day I read veteran Indian actor Amitabh Bachan’s blog about celebrities and modesty. Specifically what goes through their minds when they are recognized and people form lines for their autographs or photographs or for just a close glimpse.

This reminded me of a minor incidence I encountered. I was on the shores of river Krishna in my home town, Vijayawada, to perform some religious rites. I, along with my brother, was waiting for the priest to show up. I heard a familiar voice right behind me. I turned around and noticed a person busily performing some religious rites. Suddenly it dawned on me that this person is none other than famous comedian from Telugu film industry. I told my brother and continued staring towards the entrance for my priest (as if focused staring would bring the priest faster). At first my brother said it may not be him. After a while (my brother, being a practical and clever man he is, thought it is a good time pass to observe the actor rather than the entrance), he confirmed that it is indeed the famous comedian. He said “It is him, as he is pausing his religious ritual to acknowledge and wave to the passers by who recognized him”. Finally our priest came and we got busy with our own stuff.

At that time I must have concluded that the actor was enjoying (or even craving for) the recognition and is even pausing what he was doing to acknowledge. But, after reading Amitabh’s blog, I wonder if my assessment was correct. What would I do, if an old acquaintance (because strangers have better things to do than try to grab my attention) tries to grab my attention while I am in the middle of something? Will I stop what I am doing and acknowledge; or continue with my work and hope that the person would be around when I finish the work so that I can reciprocate the formality? Now, to complicate the situation, assume that the acquaintance is an old customer of mine and I need repeat business from him/her. What should be my response?

It is easy for me, a common man, to criticize the actions of the celebrity. Assume that this celebrity ignored the people who are trying to grab his attention. Even then I would have had a lot to criticize him. This time I would have talked about his arrogance. I pity this celebrity. Whatever he does, people will criticize him. I guess that is the price one pays for being a celebrity.

I am not sure why people behave the way they do when they meet a celebrity on the street. Is it because of the work the celebrity performed? (I wonder why no one ever approached me for photograph or autograph even on the days when I worked extremely hard – 40 hours at a stretch? -:) ) Or is it because they get this chance to meet a celebrity rarely? Or is it a combination?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Soul (Lupta Aatman)

I am an ordinary man

Of Talent and Recognition