Dawn of a new (mis)adventure.....Poetic Fury

Dawn of a new (mis?)adventure ........ Poetic fury

I am back…….

After a self imposed exile of almost a decade……. I am back.

Here is the reason why I suddenly resurrected my insatiable urge to write….

The other day I was in a discussion with an intelligent person about, …….well lot of things.  During the discussion, some of my arguments sounded familiar and I felt some one used them somewhere.  Suddenly, it dawned on me that those were the sentences from my blogs written several years ago.  So, I started reading my own blogs (don’t ask me for my reaction after reading them…).  Naturally, I was too eager to share and have the other participant read them, and hence sent the link to that person.  Again, don’t ask me for my reaction to the comments.  But, one quip made me write this and the ensuing blogs that you may have the misfortune of reading. The remark was about my old blog “Woman Smarter".

Harry and I go a long way…I said.  I continued…

When I was a kid he used to sing me about his sailing days through “Banana Boat” and “Farewell to Jamaica”.  I sometimes brooded-over, sometimes became morose, and sometimes cried listening to him, but always pondered and slept on!  His songs grew on me along with my age.  Then he tried to impart worldly-wisdom thorough songs like Man Smart (Woman Smarter), Coconut Woman, and Try to Remember (they taught me detached-attachment and love for food and woman).  He also introduced me to Mr. Kenny Rogers, who made me realize that I am not a good gambler…coz, I don’t know when to hold, when to fold or when to walk away, and I can never stop the urge to count my chips sitting at the table.  Association with these two great men not only gave me (to some extent; now you can imagine how I would be if never associated with these great folks) worldly-wisdom and some level of maturity in thinking, it also introduced me to songs, lyrics and ultimately….poetry. 
That initiated me into dabbling in writing.  Thanks to Microsoft for making it easy to ‘write’ and Google for making it easy to ‘publish’, I started writing in English. One fine morning, it dawned on me that I may not (!!!) be good in English as it is my second language and I always think in Telugu and then translate to English.  I am not sure if it has any link to my hanppenstance on Srikrishna Devaraaya’s poem, praising Telugu as the Mother of European languages and as best among the languages of the Country. 

Thus started my exploration (or is it exploitation???) of Telugu language – prose, songs and poetry. Pretty soon, I realized that it is beyond me (I love to think that it is only temporary) to understand, let alone write as per classical meter rules (Chandass).  I found a ray of hope when I read about Gurajada and Devulappalli and their then radical thoughts about “Free Verse” poetry (or “Spaced Prose”). I finally found enough rope when SriSri told me not to look down upon “Aggipulla, Kukkapilla, Sabbu billa” (match stick, puppy, and used soap), that one can write about anything under the sun like “Thalupu gollem, Haarathi pallem, Gurrapu kallem” (bolt of a door, wave-offering plate, bridle of a horse) and that one just needs “kavithaavesam” (poetic fury).  Even though Mr. Bharani wrote, as if about me –

నాకా రావయ ఓనమాలు 
బిల్కుల్ రాదు ఛందస్సు 

and

నీ రెండు గుండెల మీద
మేం కుంపట్లం తల్లీ
దానిమీద సాహిత్యపు అత్తెసరుపలుకుపలుగ్గా.
మరో దాని మీద
సంగీతపు సాంబారుఉడికీ ఉడక్కా…”


…………..I started my adventures in Telugu writing and trying to be poetically furious. Beware!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Soul (Lupta Aatman)

I am an ordinary man